Thursday, July 9, 2009

Recession and cheap beer

Have you noticed that Busch beer is only $4/ six pack (at least at our liquor store) ...much to Adam's delight- he likes cheap beer.
I prefer to drink less quantities of more delectable beer so I'm in the boat with all the other people who are a little pissed about the hops shortage and the fact that a decent six pack costs 10 bucks. Particularly, because my very favorite beer ever, Orange Blossom has been altered to not my favorite beer- due, I believe, to a change in the hops variety used in the recipe... Buffalo Bills please change it back; I will pay an extra dollar.

Anyways onto the relevant topic of Busch beer being $4 and economics; that's pretty cheap, even for cheap beer. Why when all of the other brewers are increasing prices is Anheuser-Busch decreasing prices. Well when the economy is bad- like it is now, people feel, well, bad. And when we feel bad we drink more beer- there's that American escapism again.
Since every one's broke most people are more likely to drink cheap beer, thus much more Busch is sold for $.67 per beer, further increasing profits to the large domestic breweries and reducing profit to the delightful micro brews and increasing the probability that what happened to my favorite beer could happen to yours, but for your sake, I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment